It’s estimated that over 1.5 billion people speak English, either as a first or second language.
Of course, we have different variants such as American English, Australian English, and British English, the thing to remember is that they’re essentially the same, with just a few minor differences.
The language itself is relatively easy to get to grips with, it’s the nuances that are harder to understand.
Even skilled English language users need a little help now and again, and unless you’re constantly striving to improve your language skill, it’s easy to forget some of the finer points.
That’s why we are here to help you understand those smaller details, give you a refresher or start from scratch.
If you’d like to learn English in London, we have a range of courses to suit your needs.
Why Learn English in London?
English has been spoken in one form or another since approximately 450 AD, and rather strangely, the roots of the language originated in Germany!
From the early days of ‘Middle England’, the English language has become the official language in nearly 60 sovereign states.
It could be argued that London and the United Kingdom are the true home of the English language.
What better reason to learn English in London?
Apart from London being the third most visited city in the world in 2016 – coming in higher than Singapore, Paris and New York (amongst many others).
There, Their, They’re
There are at least a quarter of a million distinct English words, and that’s excluding some regional or technical dialect.
If we add in those extra variations, the total is closer to three-quarters of a million.
Whilst some words sound the same, the reality is that they have completely different meanings; context and spelling are the watch-words.
This is a great reason to learn English in London – it’s much easier to understand the context when you hear it as it should be spoken.
You may already have a good understanding of the English language, or you could just be starting out, but practicing your language skills with native speakers is one of the most effective ways of increasing your learning.
There are a number ways of to increase your verbosity, expand your vocabulary or improve your eloquence.
Using these handy tips should help you to do just that before coming to learn English in London.
- Read Everything AvailableIn this multicultural world we live in, it’s more than likely that when you purchase something, it will come with instructions in a multitude of languages – these make ideal learning tools.You already know what the instructions say, so it’s often quite easy to understand the wording for another language.
Depending on your fluency, children’s books are a great way to understand the language; they often give you a basic understanding of the context and the word without being too complicated.
Read anything and everything that has the English language incorporated – whilst you may not understand it 100%, you’ll be surprised at just how much you can understand.
- Start SmallYou don’t need to understand the entire works of Shakespeare in one sitting, concentrate on what you need – that also helps with motivation.Whether it’s food, travel, medical or work-related, if you start with the basics that are essential to you, it will be easier to build on that understanding later.
Having a need to learn a language is usually more successful than learning for the sake of learning.
Don’t be overawed by the complexity of the language, once the basics are understood, it becomes much easier.
- Rent a MovieLearning doesn’t have to be hard work; watching a movie with subtitles can be a great way to increase your understanding of the language.Watch it with the audio set to your home language and the subtitles set to English, and when you’re done, try it the other way round.
You could even get a group of you together and make a night of it.
- Get a FriendTalking to a friend helps you on two counts; you’ll begin to understand the language a little better and it gives you practice.This is when watching that movie helps – watch it together, and then you can discuss the finer points of it together afterward. It really is a win-win situation for both of you.
- Try Not to StressIf you’re like most of the populace, you need to enjoy yourself whilst you’re learning.In fact, a study shows that you’re more likely to retain facts and data when it’s been a fun experience to learn.
It’s all too easy to pressure yourself to learn, but with the aid of a learning schedule, you’ll find it much easier.
Plan your time and time your plan – Rome wasn’t built in a day.
- Social MediaThere are quite literally hundreds, if not thousands of videos online that can help you learn a language.Many of them are free and easily accessible – you just need an internet connection and a device. And a little time.
You could also find groups and other resources on sites such as Facebook where the members try and support or help each other learn – a learning partner is a great resource.
Posting in English to these groups will often get you great feedback; another highly successful learning aid.
Nacel English School
Here at Nacel English School, we have a strong belief in quality education with personal attention – that’s why we have such a high pass rate.
We can offer you all manner of courses and options to learn English in London, from General English courses through to English for Professionals.
We are an accredited Cambridge English Exam Preparation Centre and have been certified by the Independent Schools Inspectorate.
We can also offer you accommodation, making your stay in London just that little more cost-effective.
To find out more about just how we can help you learn English in London, you can call us direct or use our contact form. One of our friendly professionals will be happy to help you.