Frequently Asked Questions - UK Visas to study English

Answer all of your questions

The information published on this page about UK Visas is for guidance only. For the most recent information or if you are not sure about your visa status, you might want to contact your local UK embassy or visit the official government website:


I can stay in the UK as a student in an accredited institution (like Nacel English School London) without needing a visa for up to 6 months.

I only need a valid passport, which has to be valid for the whole time I am in the UK.

If I am under 18 and traveling alone, I may need a letter from my parent or my guardian telling their contact details and consent for me to travel to the UK.

I will not be able to do paid or unpaid work (this includes work experience or work placements).

I have to apply for a Short-term study visa for English language courses lasting longer than 6 months and up to 11 months.

I can stay in the UK for the length of the course plus an extra 30 days if my stay is no longer than 11 months.

If I am under 18, I can to apply for a Child Student visa.

I will have to prove that:

  • I will study in an accredited institution up to 11 months;
  • I have enough money to support my trip;
  • I can pay for my return journey.

If I am under 18, I will need the consent of my parent or guardian to study in the UK.

Once in the UK, I will not be able to:

  • do paid or unpaid work (this includes work experience or work placements);
  • extend my visa ;
  • bring family members (dependents) with me on this visa.

I can apply online before coming to the UK. Find a visa application center here.

I need a Student visa.

Once in the UK, I will not be able to:

  • Claim public benefits and pensions;
  • Work in certain jobs (for example as a professional sportsperson or sports coach);
  • Be self-employed.

Whether I need a visa or not depends on my country of origin.

I can quickly check if I need a visa here.

As of January 1st 2021, if I’m a citizen of the below listed countries, I do not need a visa:

  • Any EEA country
  • Argentina
  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Argentina
  • Australia
  • Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Belize
  • Botswana
  • Brazil
  • Brunei
  • Canada
  • Chile
  • Costa Rica
  • Dominica
  • East Timor
  • El Salvador
  • Grenada
  • Guatemala
  • Honduras
  • Hong Kong
  • Israel
  • Japan
  • Kiribati
  • Macau
  • Malaysia
  • Maldives
  • Marshall Islands
  • Mauritius
  • Mexico
  • Micronesia
  • Monaco
  • Namibia
  • Nauru
  • New Zealand
  • Nicaragua
  • Palau
  • Panama
  • Papua New Guinea
  • Paraguay
  • Saint Kitts and Nevis
  • Saint Lucia
  • Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
  • Samoa
  • San Marino
  • Seychelles
  • Singapore
  • Solomon Islands
  • South Korea
  • Taiwan
  • Tonga
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • Tuvalu
  • United States of America
  • Uruguay
  • Vanuatu
  • Vatican City

If I need a visa, the type of visa I need depends on the length of my course:

I consult the below information as well.



If you need to apply for a visa, please follow the process below:

1) Complete the enrolment form making sure you read the conditions of enrolment carefully.

2) Please send us a copy of the following documents:

  • Passport (we need your passport to issue you an accurate visa letter): with a blank page for your visa
  • For Student visas: Proof of your English Level showing that you are currently at a B1 Level of English (on the Common European Framework of Reference) and that you are able to start a course at B2 level. Consult official information about the recognized Secure English language Test and test centers 

3) Once we have received the above documents we will need to evaluate them and then arrange a Skype interview in order to ensure the course of your choice is suitable for your needs.

4) We will send you an invoice and then you will be required to pay your programme fees. You must pay all your fees in advance. We cannot issue any visa supporting documentation until you have done this.

5) Depending on your required visa, we will issue you with a Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies CAS Statement or a letter to support your visa application.

5) Once you have received your visa and booked your flights, please inform us of your arrival date and flight details.

We look forward to welcoming you to Nacel English School London!


If the visa application is refused, providing we receive official documentation from the British Embassy or Consulate confirming this, we will refund the student in full with the exception of £250 administration fee and the course registration fee (The CAS fee is non-refundable). All bank charges incurred are to be paid by the student. Refunds will only be considered if applied for prior to the commencement of the course.

Please note that, for students who require a visa to the UK, once documentation has been issued to support their visa application, no refund will be given without official documentation confirming that the application has been unsuccessful.

You need to take into account the cost of your visa application, which depends on the type of visa you apply for.

  • For a Standard Visitor Visa, the cost should be £95.
  • For a Short term Study visa, the cost will be £186.
  • For a Student visa, the cost will be £348.

You might be able to pay an extra £220 for a decision within 5 working days or £956 for a decision within 24 hours. Apply early enough!

You should receive the decision about your Short term Study visa, Standard Visitor Visa or a Student visa within 3 weeks after your appointment. Apply early enough to start your course on time!

It depends on the visa you apply for. Consult the above listed links per visa to receive a complete information per visa.

  • There are usually financial evidence to provide: you will need to prove that you have enough financial resources to support yourself while in the UK. You may also have to prove that you already paid your course fees in full.
  • You may also need to prove your student accommodation while in England.
  • Depending on your country of origin, you may also have to take a Tuberculosis test.
  • If you are under 18, your parents will need to prove that they agree with your trip.

Depending on your situation, there can be a variety of documentation required. Inquire early to have the time to collect hem and to eventually translate them in English.

Plan ahead, at least 3 months before your intended course start date!

Didn’t find the answer?

Contact us, we will be happy to assist you.

Nacel English School London - FAQs UK visas